Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Book Review


I recently read Messages from an Unknown Chinese Mother by Xinran. She collected stories from women all over China who are connected with adoption. There was a chapter about a woman who had worked at an orphanage, women who had moved from place to place trying to keep their daughter and women who had been forced to either abandon their daughters in public places or take them to the orphanages.

The book was beautifully written. All the stories stayed with me long after finishing them. My heart aches for these women and their daughters. Due to governmental policies and cultural norms many women have been forced to make decisions they did not want to make. I wish they had the opportunity for open adoption. I wish they lived in a country with more freedoms. I there was some way for these birthmothers to find their children.

I am grateful for the opportunity to have an open adoption. I am grateful for women who will share their story as a birthmother and families who will share their stories of adopting.

If you are feeling fragile as part of the adoption triad, this may not be a book you want to try now.  I really did enjoy the book but it is an emotional read. It took me a long time because some days I really couldn’t read it.
I checked this out of the library but you can also get it from Amazon here

No comments: