Thursday, July 7, 2011

Celebrating July 4th

Jake and I went to my parents’ house for the Fourth of July. My sister and her family came up (they live about 2 hours from my parents) and my cousin and her new husband dropped by.  We were just about to set off fireworks when the sky opened up. It POURED rain. There was lightning and thunder and it was a HUGE storm.  My parents have a sunroom off the family room and it has a metal roof. It made the storm even louder.
When the rain and lightning finally stopped we started the fireworks. We had a hard time getting the first few lit. There was just enough of a breeze that the match blew out if you weren’t right by the firework. We did get the hang of it. There were several of those screamers and a bunch of those bright flash ones. They were very small and seemed to just have a bright white flashing light come out.
The box ones were the best. They had more colors and sparks.  We didn’t get any sparklers though.  I remember them as a kid. They were so fun to run through the yard with and dance around. My sister let each of her girls pick the order of the fireworks. They enjoyed telling us the name on the box and watching them.
We also had blueberry sour cream pie. It was delicious! I think a new tradition has been born!
We had a great time. What did you do to celebrate?

No comments: