Monday, August 22, 2011

Letting Go

I like order and structure. I like to have a plan for the day or the weekend (or my life) so I know what to expect and what to prepare for. I have found that life doesn’t really work that way though. I have some control over my life but there are many things I don’t have any control over.

I have never really liked that quote. As I first read it, I thought it was saying just let life happen. Don’t make any plans because you can’t control what will happen anyway.  But as I have lived more of my life, I have realized that the quote may mean if your plan isn’t working or isn’t going to work let it go and get a new plan.
I planned to get married at 21 or so. That didn’t happen.  If I had forced the issue and made getting married happen I wouldn’t have met Jake. I wouldn’t have as great a marriage as I do now.  When Jake and I got married, we planned to have children right away. That didn’t happen.  We could be bitter and angry about our situation. We are sad but we know that we are doing all we can to find our family and live the life waiting for us.
Jake likes the curve balls life has thrown him.  He has said many times if his life turned out how he planned it would have been very boring. He also wouldn't be as happy.  I like to think that he is happier because he met me!
A Life Being Lived has a great post about this idea of being okay with life not goingI how you planned. Check it out here. She says what I am trying to say so much better.

No comments: