Saturday, April 7, 2012

G is for. . .

G is for gumption. Don’t you just love how that word sounds? It is a great word that doesn’t get used as much as it should or could.

I looked up the definition in case it had a different definition than I thought!

1.    gump·tion/ˈgəmpSHən/

Noun:
Shrewd or spirited initiative and resourcefulness.
Synonyms:
Initiative



I found out it is also of Scottish origin. When I hear gumption, I think of stories set in the early 1900’s. Perhaps I am not the only one who thinks of the past when they hear gumption.  It paints a different picture than courage. With courage I think lions, but with gumption I think Unsinkable Molly Brown.

Some words to fall out of favor after a while or seem too old fashioned. The urban dictionary had more a more modern definition –boldness, spunk, commonsense, initiative, the nerve.

I bet we can bring gumption back – we see what we look for. If we look for gumption we will see it and maybe exhibit some ourselves!

Tomorrow I have a quote ( I usually have quotes on Sundays) and Monday we will see  what H is for. . .


2 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Great post, I enjoyed the read.

Happy Easter.
Yvonne.

Anonymous said...

Great post! Happy Easter!